Monday, March 12, 2007

Ra Quotes!

Monday 7:10 p.m.
What a great start to the day today! Times like Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon are when you can really tell how you're getting on with this juju. This morning I was awake before six and the meditations were going so well that I felt like taking the day off work to meditate. Of course, I went to work and with having to talk to flatheid after flatheid and all the business .... anyway, think positive. Before August, I will have a publisher for my kidbooks and for my new book and will resign. Hurrah! Hurrah! Let's hope!!

I only managed to read the first line of the old "novel" I hacked together a decade ago. It says: I hope you won't mind going to jail after you've finished reading this book.

I also found an old copy of Alma Mater yesterday. There were two quotes at the start of the book, which I later lost. So I'll put them in here just in case I lose them again.

Alma Mater is a book about the second two years of a university career which started in 1969. The year before I went, Malcolm Muggeridge resigned as rector (this is a student representative in Scottish unis). God, as I was watching this drama unfold while still at school... anyway, Edinburgh University turned out to be so much more disappointing than Malcolm Muggeridge made it sound. So here's the quotes at the start of the book. I'll get them put onto my webpage version whenever.


Newman : "A university is an Alma Mater, knowing her children one by one, not a foundry, or a mint, or a treadmill. "

Malcolm Muggeridge: "Yet, how infinitely sad; how, in a macabre sort of way, funny that the form their insubordination takes should be a demand for Pot and Pills, for the most tenth rate sort of escapism and self-indulgence ever known! (On resigning as University Rector, January 1968)

The flat is empty apart from me till Wednesday. Bring on the dancing girls!

6 Comments:

Blogger rob said...

Good opening line! I'm hooked. Is it a freebie?

Which are the second two years?

My place is empty from Friday for 10 days. Could you give the girls my address when the DB kicks them out?

10:51 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I don't have the actual book yet, just the first 40 pages. Anyway, it's not scanned or anything like that. Also, I've no idea what it's like now. So long ago! No help at all! Hotboy p.s. It is a good opening line!!!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

*dancing dancing dancing*
The only Rector I know is the one in my Church and other Episcopal Churches.

I have been slowing down on the blogging again, but I miss you so I had to drop by.
Hope you are having rabliss Hotboy!
~xo

5:28 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Hi Lee Ann! Hope you're fine. Wonder how is your church on women priests and whatnot? Hotboy

7:17 PM  
Blogger Just a toy said...

I hope you get your wish Hotboy.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Toyo! I usually wish folk to get what they want so they can get on with wanting something else. Doesn't help, does it? Hotboy

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.