Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ra Resumption!

Wednesday 12:45 p.m.
I'm so happy right now! Christmas is over and the days are getting longer again! It's practically summertime and I don't have to go to work for days and days and days. And ra bliss this morning ... well, it keeps moving onwards and upwards. This morning it was like sitting in a bliss filled moon. The moon arose and I wished I could have sat there all morning.

What bliss there will be over the next few days!

Now is the time to start thinking about what I'm going to write next. I read the first couple of pages of a travel book the other day. Well liked book. Esteemed writer. Pots of money. But all you have to do is travel about and make sure there's a witty remark in each paragraph. I've only got the money to travel to work. I wonder if that would do. Of course, I tried to write a travel book before, but a travel book about the second noble truth .... well, now that I've got an agent for one book anyway, I should be sensible. And think about it for a bit anyway.

I got an email from Ionetics yesterday saying she'd read half of Alma Mater while on night shift. Seemed to have enjoyed it. Had a laugh. They're all reprobates, you know. The bourgeois who aren't evil.

11:10 p.m.
By the time I was getting to the top of the slope above the boating pond at Inverleith Park, it was becoming a good bit darker. You get a great view of the Edinburgh skyline from there, going all the way from Salisbury Crags on the left and along passed the castle, etc. At dusk the twinkle in the lights is good.
There are two benches at the top of the slope there, over a bit on the grass, facing the view. And it was a good view with the sun going down on the west, just above some rooftops. One of the benches is dedicated to the memory of the Smiths, who were born in the 1920s. I sat on that one and faced the setting sun and gazed in that direction as it grew darker. I knew nobody would bother me with it getting cold and dark.

Then I went to the allotment, and sat at the side, as it grew even darker. It takes quite a time to get dark around these parts even when the sun has gone down. And, sitting on some newspapers, it's not really cold at all. Your legs get a bit cold, but the feeling is not unpleasant. When it was really dark, I got up and set fire to the newspapers. That's my thing; setting fire to the newspapers.

Weighed in for the first night of the No Beer Belly Anymore Programme. Twelve and a half stone. Fat, drunken basturn!

Why am I bothering? I just usually do. This is my year anyway. Here comes ra heat! Here comes ra heat!

7 Comments:

Blogger ion said...

It's true. Since there were no slugs I spent a couple of happy hours on Alma Mater, which had me in creases. Of course I hadn't yet reached the latter half when typically a drama, conflict and rsolution will take the fore. I did enjoy the scene-setting, character dvelopment and the familiarity with the places and academic scenarios.

My own Univ Sussex experiences have already been turned into a Radio 4 series by Sarah Parkinson, the late partner of Paul Merton, who sadly died of breast cancer. It was a real blast to play a side part in her comic portrayal of a politically active group of students, and I recognised myself immediately.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Ion: Sometimes I write from direct experience, but I never think it's me. BTW George 111 was one hundred and eleven years old. Not a lot of folk know that. I studied history, you know. Hotboy

8:12 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

There's a web site that has condensed versions of famous novels. They say they'd be interested in Alma Mater, if yo could manage a re-write to expand the character of Andrew, the only sympathetic character in the whole book. Women readers would really go for him.

Which reminds me, I'll see what I can do about your picture request. There's one with a Samye Ling connection that will surely help you.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Here's the condensed version: Young Hotboy goes to Edinburgh University where everyone is very nice. And then he goes home. That's it. Can't remember what the request was for, but send the used notes here if you think it'll help. Hotboy

10:46 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I wish you would take some pictures. You can send them to me in email if you don't want to post them. I would love to see Edinburgh and the surrounding area. I imagine it is beautiful!
Have a great day!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Lee Ann: I was thinking I should take a photie of the skyline for the bloggy, but I'm afraid I don't own a camera! When I get rid of my half job (whenever!), I'll have time to read intructions, manuals, etc. I do enjoy your photies of Alabama, so I will reciprocate as soon as poss. Hotboy

7:19 PM  
Blogger ion said...

Now finished Alma Mater, which as expected became pretty dark by the end as the dramatis personae destroyed and ate themselves and each other. A real page turner!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.