Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rem Photons!

Thursday 6:05 p.m.
It all began with the point without a circumference, (Yeah, let's start with the easy mindfungers!) and then there was a Big Bang. Tricky causality questions arise. Why? How? Then maybe thirteen to fifteen billion years later here I am. I yam what I yam! (Popeye the Sailor Man) Then I die. Amazingly enough, in the great swathes of time this is barely noticed.

One swathe of time is known as a kalpa. A kalpa is the length of time it takes for a silk scarf blowing over a square metre of granite to wear it away.

After a few of them kalpas, there's nothing left of the universe except black holes. There is no time in black holes because of the amount of gravity there. But somehow these black holes leak away and, after a wee while longer, all you've got is a lot of photons.

A photon is an invisible particle. What? You mean, being an elemental particle is displays wave particle duality? I think that means you can find it acting like a particle and find it acting like a wave. At the same time. And in different times?

How can a particle be invisible? I don't think a photon has any mass. Has it? No, it must have some mass or it wouldn't be a particle, surely? But if it didn't have any mass, it's easy to see how it would be invisible. Is a photon a particle of energy??? What's energy?

Maybe they proved it was a particle, if massless and invisible, because it hit a bit of paper at the end of a gigantic accelerating machine, and left a wee mark. Exhibit One: the invisible particle's wee mark. But how do we see the wee mark? Hmmm? Dem damn photons again! It's hard to get away from photons once you've heard about them. At the very end of the universe that seems to be what it all amounts to. Lots of photons. It's got to go bang again then.

That's what I liked about the Big Crunch. It goes bang, then crunch, then bang ... Do any of you spam robots know of a good book I could read on this subject? I'm sure it would give me a laugh! Points without circumference? How's about them invisible particles? One hand clapping physicists already!

Another thing I don't know anything about is ... I read once that in further states of realisation (lost you already, Jack?) of emptiness, you can step over a river without the river getting any narrower and your step getting any longer. What could that mean?

I've been to Bellshill today and don't have to engage much with flatheids till Saturday evening. Yahoo! Tonight I'm not going to be a good boy, so ignore anything here after nine pee-em, please!

8 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Popeye!!!! Oh, I loved that cartoon!

Have a great weekend Hotboy!
~xo

2:58 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Lee Ann: Same to you! Hotboy

11:03 AM  
Blogger Lelly said...

I guess you've already read A Brief History of Time (Steven Hawking) and A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)?

11:20 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Lelly: Thanks! I gave up the first one half and the second is in my library. I'll need to read something like that! Hotboy

1:46 PM  
Blogger zomba said...

I say HotBoy!

If its a book you're after, might I suggest:

Penguins Stopped Play: Eleven Cricketers Take on the World, by Harry Thompson. Available at Amazon for £5.48 (second hand).

Good reading for the next time you visit the UnHeard Of Islands

MM III

9:16 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Fangs! Mingin'! Just what I need! Hotboy!

9:21 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

That actually made a lot of sense, I wish you had been my Physics tutor at uni. Instead of my pharmacology coach.

If you haven't read the Bryson book, you'd surely love it, a sort of portable David Attenborough of everything. It makes up in laughs for what it lacks in blissology.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Beesucker! How nice to hear from you again! You must know stuff! I'm not doing enough knowledge these days! Hotboy

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.