Saturday, October 28, 2006

Ra Bye Bye Jack Dempsey!

Saturday 10:25 p.m.
Shadow boxing early in the day, figured I was ready for Cassius Clay. Fee, fi, foo, fum, look out, Cassius, here I come!

One tai chi set and just over an hour bombing about on the nazi bike. At the back of eight, on went Waiting for the Man and I weighed in. 12 stone 4 lbs. Fung fat basturn! Donned the Beer Monster Reduction Vehicle and kept replaying Waiting for the Man for the next half hour. So I started talking to my manager while doing the ten minutes of warm up skipping. My manager is called Jack. Jack's a spam robot.

Thank God we're not over twelve and a half stone now. Over twelve and a half stone and you have to fight Jack Dempsey at some point. This is not a place we want to go, Hotboy. Fung too right, Jack. I called you after Jack Dempsey. You know that, don't you, Jack? Still, we don't want to go there.

Jack Dempsey was an 8 to 1 underdog. 5 inches shorter and 58 lbs lighter. Jess Willard lasted three rounds and ended up with a broken cheekbone, broken jaw, several teeth knocked out and broken ribs. He was down seven times in the the first. Lasted another two rounds. Dearie me!

No, we don't want to go there, Jack. Or hang around among the super-middleweights. This is the death zone.

I felt much better, fitter and stronger than I did when I was doing this on Thursday night. I haven't ingested any pollutants on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Good boy! Anyway, after five three minute rounds, I was in the zone and I was imagining all kinds of biffings.

What round is it, Jack? It's the thirteen coming up, Hotboy. You're blowing it, son! You're blowing it! Tommy Hearns is ahead on points. And you're blowing it, son. You've got to go out there and take the bum.

What a great thirteen round that was! I think Tommy Hearns was getting five million dollars. By the thirteenth it wasn't about the money. But Sugar Ray Leonard transcended something in that thirteen round. He came off his stool with something I'd never seen in him in the fights I'd watched before. It's like he was suddenly bigger than himself. This is when it counts. This is when you've got to be the man. I think Tommy Hearns made it into the fourteenth. I was a big fan of Tommy Hearns.


I've managed to do a wee bit over six hours meditating today. The Domestic Bliss was out all day. I sat in the lobby. The stuff between about quarter to six and half seven was right on the money. Immersed, engulfed and blissed out, blissed out in ra bliss! I'll sit up tonight and do some more!

9 Comments:

Blogger ion said...

Boxing formalises and ritualises some of the basest behaviour of 'human nature', viz radge brutal aggression, and disturbs me. Irrationally, sumo is great on the grounds that it's powerful and graceful. Lyall Watson used to commentate from the bashos late at night on Ch 4. Shadow-boxing is probably OK because no one gets hurt. Hope this helps.

9:47 AM  
Blogger ion said...

Problems with blogger and haloscam.

Boxing formalises and ritualises some of the basest behaviour of 'human nature', viz radge brutal aggression, and disturbs me. Irrationally, sumo is great on the grounds that it's powerful and graceful. Lyall Watson used to commentate from the bashos late at night on Ch 4. Shadow-boxing is probably OK because no one gets hurt. Hope this helps.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Ion: That might be what boxing seems looking like from the outside. This of what getting pissed looks like! It's also completely addictive. Fortunately, I was crap at it! Sumo (I used to watch it on Channel 4) is great, but some people would say it was just two big fat blokes bumping into each other. Also, I couldn't get the bloggy to let me edit the last post this morning! Bloody computers! Hotboy

8:28 PM  
Blogger keda said...

ion, how does repetetive headbutting of a soft cushion rate?

waiting for the man for half an hour? hmmm now that's my kind of velvet nirvana. my forehead would like that.

8:29 PM  
Blogger ion said...

Hi keda! Cushion headbutting only 3/10 for violence scale, and a victimless crime, like drug-taking. But then so is boxing...

9:08 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

The biffings you were imagining - were you receiving or donating? They tell me it makes a difference.

Ion - thanks for explaining sumo's superiority (and Lyall Watson's contribution) to hotboy. That definitely helped. He wouldn't have listened to me.

Now can we have a volunteer to do a job on Velvet Underwear?

Hotters - I saw the whole sumo shebang at the Albert Hall when they visited back in 1989 or 1991. The most surreally exciting experience. Unlike me, you might have preferred the Muhammad Ali handshake.

I was inspired by your post to do some serious Tai Chi for the first time in ages. Did my back in of course. But the next day, I did about 2 minutes of Chi Kung, and the pain was gone. The Tao giveth, and the Tao taketh away.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Don't know anything about Chi Kung! Is it a panda? Hope this helps. Hotboy

11:38 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

That's right. What about the biffings?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! Ra biffings are outgoing! Certainly. This must definitely help! Hotboy

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.