Thursday, April 07, 2005

Rese Buddhisty People!

Spoke to the guy who shuts the temple at night today. Sometimes at night here the temple is empty except for me (after about half eight) and often this quiet person who closes up afterwards. He saw a lot of me last October when I was here with the tent and in February when I was in a room, but into meditating in the temple (after October). I asked him how long he'd been here. Thirteen years.

The Big Indian from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest has moved here. He was still chanting when I left the temple ten minutes ago. He doesn't speak English. I doubt if he thought it would be useful since all his religion is in Tibetan. He must have been here over thirty years. I wish I was like him. He doesn't have to speak to anyone!!

Sometimes when I'm feeling less inspired and drowning in flatheids, I think: I could walk from here to Princes Street and there's no one I could talk to who knows anything about ra bliss, ra rapture and ra ecstasy, and this fortifies me in my efforts. Here, I'm the flatheid. But you just can't tell. The guy who shuts the temple wasn't wearing robes.

What a wonderful place this is! It's full of nice people and people who are trying to be nice. It's great that some of them recognise me here. It's my home from home. What a fortunate creature I am!

2 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Yes, and I know what you mean about the home-from-home effect.

Even I who have only ever been a buddhist hanger-on and fellow-traveller. I whose favourite part of the meditation classes was changing position every 5 minutes to avoid exploding leg veins. I know the feeling of relief and welcome, on coming across any buddhist place or group. Like the glorious tibetan temple complex an hour south of where I live. Or the funny wee FWBO bungalow retreat thing somewhere around Dundee.

You arrive, and what's different is there's no judgement going on, or if there is people hide it well. You're welcome to be as private or eccentric as you like, the way that your real life homes should have been but often weren't.

Perhaps because it's unaccustomed, such acceptance can feel like active support and encouragement.

For me even Scotland now feels like a home from home, whereas when I lived there it felt only judgemental and unaccepting. What's going on?

robmcj

1:38 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

PS hotboy, I've just realised, they wouldn't hide any judgementalism, they'd meditate it away, civilised.

robmcj

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.