Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ra Visual Field!

Wednesday 3:24 p.m.
So I've just finished a meditation session. This is with the eyes open gazing at the wall, looking directly as a photie of the lama. I've written before about the odd visuals I've been getting while meditating. Rather quickly everything takes a bit of a milky sheen and the outlines of things tend to become highlighted with light, kind of like in a negative. I used to think this was because you had your eyes fixed on something for a while, but these days this comes on rather quickly, as I've said.

Finding any explanation for some of this stuff ... well, it would be nice to have some!

After some time meditating, the air occasionally seems to "thicken up" just a little. This seems to me like the very juniour brother of the whacking great change of visuals I got with the non-self and emptiness experience. But I don't know.

You have to accept that you're dealing with the illusory nature of reality here. Onto this illusion you are trying in deity yoga to superimpose another illusion ... that you are a deity!

Some of the visualisations seem amazingly complex and it kind of takes the heart out of you a wee bit. God, I'm never be able to do that!

On the upside, I know you can manipulate the visual field to some extent and impose something and change what you are seeing. I've done this a wee bit twice. It's like reverse acid in that instead of it changing, you are changing it.

The downside is that I only discovered this effect after some heavy duty, day after day, spells of meditating down at the Samye Ling.

It's Wednesday after work and I'm feeling a bit tired and broke. Usually, I recuperate on a Thursday by meditating for six plus hours, so on Friday I'm brand new again. Tomorrow I have to go into work again. Dearie me!

Reading about Kenchen Thrangu Rinpoche gave me a bit of a leg up, I must say! He's the tutor of the 17th Karmapa and he sounds like a very smart joe indeed. It's his book (Medicine Buddha Teachings)that I'm reading to see how to do this juju. So I'm a wee bit downhearted about the complexity of even the preliminary meditations and the boy says not to worry if you can't see them too clearly. He says you're not working with eye consciousness. It's mind stuff, so it might be the feeling that you are a deity that might count for more.

I suspect this is a sop for joes like me who can't really do it, or who have to go to the jobbie instead of meditating.

I keep trying to be happy with what I've got and just get on with it. I'm not the only joe in the world who thinks he's got better things to do than go to work! But sometimes I just want to run!

"And Howard just pointed with his gun and said that way down Highway 61". The inimitable Bob. So I'm off to the allotment for some more digging and blissing, digging and blissing!

5 Comments:

Blogger Just a toy said...

I suppose that no job is so perfect that we don't just want to pack up and quit sometimes.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

It's the wonder of bloggydom that you have left a wee message for me here. I have such appreciation of it! How nice and how nice again! How odd! And so impossible fifteen years ago! Hotboy

12:31 AM  
Blogger rob said...

The visuals could still be a fixation effect, coupled with acid damage. The fact that it comes on quicker could just be learning. Certainly, my students glaze over more quickly with each lesson.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Onan! I think you might actually be right on this one! Have a sound effect of gun shots outside the door. That'll get their attention! Hotboy

9:26 AM  
Blogger rob said...

Happy to help.

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.