Friday, April 06, 2007

Rem Miracles!

Good Friday 4:50 p.m.
To get canonised by the tims you need a couple of verifiable miracles. This nun in France seems to have been cured of Parkinson's after praying to the deid Papa and a columnist in the Times was debunking this yesterday. Most adamant he was. Fair enough.

Is it possible to get a spontaneous remission from Parkinson's? No point in telling me it wasn't the deid Papa. What is the explanation then?

To be religious is to know that the facts of the world are not the end of the matter. L Wittgenstein. The wall.

The world, as so understood, contradicts itself and is therefore appearance and not reality. Bradley. The wall.

Something that has intrigued me for ages is the appearance of the Virgin Mary in Egypt in the late sixties. You can get the photie here. If I was writing in the Times about this, I'd start with the headline: What the fung is that? I can accept that it's not Christ's mum since she's been dead for a while, but what is it then?

I've been to Lourdes twice. A scientific commentator went there with a BBC show a wee while ago and he went on about miracles. The example he took was of a woman who got out of her wheelchair and was cured of Multiple Sclerosis. Of course, the scientific bloke said that remission for MS did happen and this wasn't the proof of any miracle. Well, fair enough. But they've got a museum in Lourdes and they've got photies of a joe getting cured of cancer on his tongue, the before and after shots. Very impressive. I wish the scientific commentator had picked that one. Tell me what happened then?

The so-called scientific people approach this stuff with such arrogance! They think they know something about something. The do not understand that they are looking at the world with their heads jammed right up their backsides!
I'm sure the explanation for these things will be far more wonderful than are dreamt of in our philosophies!

When I was a kid, we had a three hour service to go to on Good Friday. You couldn't wait for them to get the job over with. Three hours is a long time to wait around, especially if you're nailed onto a cross.

Compassion and altruism is the basis of the path.

I've felt a wee bit moved today on several occasions. I think this is because I've been using the photie on the head on the Turin Shroud as part of the juju I do. He's the tenth in line guru. So you imagine the photie above your head and get it into a white line and bring oodles and oodles of ra bliss down through your body. This is very good indeed, especially after practising on the first nine. Jesus Christ who suffered and died for me is my guru. Lamb of God who takest away the sins of the world have mercy on us....

So, if you were a Christian and wanted to meditate, but didn't like all this Eastern malarkey, I'd totally recommend something like that. Get that image in front of you and then on top of your head, the white line coming down through your body, etc. It doesn't matter that it's not Jesus Christ. Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison is a great mantra as well. It was in the best bit of the Tridentine Mass.

We embrace our ignorance
We don't believe in any things
Especially thoughts

I'm going to force myself to watch Mel Gibson's snuff movie on Sunday night. The Passion Of Christ. At least the first five minutes!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

When I lived in Florida (about 13 years ago) our service at church on Good Friday was 3 hours long. (12 noon to 3pm)
Episcopal. Is that the same church you used to go to?

Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo

4:38 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Lee Ann: I was going to a roman catholic chapel, but episcopalians are close ... they have bishops. The Church of Scotland is presbyterian. No bishops. Have a good Easter! Hotboy

11:09 AM  
Blogger rob said...

The papa's pontifical pontifications are fascinating. One wonders what would he say about my Bavarian friend (not me) who cured himself of brain disease by laying on of hands to his willie, using a Kylie Minogue mantra.

And what do the arrogant boffins know? They told me there's nothing wrong with my brain, when everyone knows I'm a hopeless case because I don't meditate. I suppose the scientists would point out that worldwide a small number of cancers spontaneously disappear, and that some of the remissions would be found amongst the millions who transit Lourdes. Statistically, they'd say, it would be a miracle if none of the Lourdites were cured. A likely story.

9:49 PM  
Blogger rob said...

I know what you mean though about the moving occasion. JS Bach's St Matthew Passion does it for me, but it's Lutheran or something so it might not work for RC folk. Happy Easter to all your readers.

9:49 PM  
Blogger rob said...

ion (if you read this) - I cannot get to the comments area in your blog. Of course, this may be a problem at my end, but I just thought I'd alert you. The jobbie's approach to flexitime is suss, steering one towards the quality-not-quantity option for claiming time-in-lieu. Slacking and sabotage. Dearie me.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Onan? Auntie real proper person doctor and living karma juju master says that about a quarter of those given placebos show some improvement. Nobody wants to have fun!! Flat fish scientific flatheid stuff is not fun. Anyway, if you refuse to suspend your disbelief, the magic grain of Medicine Buddha medicine won't work when things get tough! So watch what you think! That would help! Hotboy

2:09 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Onan? If you had the funny light woman in Bavaria ... what is it then? My answer is that I don't know. What do you think? Hotboy

2:11 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Onan! How do the cancers spontaneously disappear? If they could spend some time working out that, couldn't they could make the rest of them spontaneously disappear. That would help. What do they say? Dearie me. It's disapppeared! Hotboy

11:24 AM  
Blogger rob said...

In the words of Donny Rumsfeld, there are known unknowns, also unknown unknowns, and ... zzz.

My spiritual advisers here tell me that you're right about all the placebo stuff. They should be shot for insubordination. Surely the problem is that too many people just want to have fun? Adolf, are you reading this?

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say!

Wonderful post about miracles.

It will also be a miracle if the England cricketers get through to the semi-finals.

MM III

6:54 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Glad you liked the post! The guy getting murdered didn't stop it then? Dearie me! Hotboy

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.