Friday, June 23, 2006

Ra Samye Day!

Friday 7:48 p.m.
Just recently back from the Samye Ling. What a brilliant time I had! I was so crabbit and stupid last night when I did the last post. I thought we might not get into the temple and that I'd miss a whole day's meditating. What a fool! We could get into the temple and the other one sat in it for two straight hours ... two till four ... and she even tried to meditate for some of it. Yippee!!

These Drupchen things seem to involve 24 hour gong bashing and chanting for seven or ten days, but for some reason this time they're only doing eight hours a day. Only eight hours! A mere bagatelle! Anyway, they'd got all this juju talent over from the subcontinent specially and it was good to see these dudes there. Or you might not think it would make any difference.

We went into the temple and were up at the very back where the other person could sit on a chair. I sat on the floor. I opened my eyes twice during the next, nearly, two hours. Once when someone offered to share a text with me (No thanks) and once when I wanted to see if anyone was in front of me before I leant over, as you sometimes do.

Sometimes there's chanting and sometimes there's just the sound of this very bass voice making kind of growling sounds with a slight accompaniment. Sometimes they were giving it laldy on the gongs, drums and horns.

I've had many wonderful, wonderful experiences in meditation, but this one was something else. Started straight into ra bliss! Then the heat. If the channels are supposed to open, well, they opened. Totally blissed and warm. The deity yoga stuff was much better as well. My concentration is not as good as I'd like and sometimes there was drift, but what an amazing time I was having!

Usually, when I'm sitting, I feel some degree of discomfort from forty minutes on, but I can sit quite easily most times for an hour. On occasion, I've sat without too much bother for a hour and a half. This time my legs didn't bother me at all. My bum was a wee bit numb at the end, but that was it. I was surprised when it finished. Asked the other one the time. 3:50 p.m.

The lama said once that he let his students have three hours sleep a night, but sitting up in a lotus. You wonder how that could be possible when you've been meditating for years and after an hour you're stiff and sore. There's something else happening here, if today is anything to go by.

I sometimes despair of the other person, but none of my acquaintances took to meditating like me. But there is hope here. I was hustled into going to see Ringu Tulku by her and that was a great thing for me. Then this. It was she who wanted to go to the Drupchen to see what it was about, not me.

So fair play to the Domestic Bliss!

There's nothing to compare with the vajrayana meditations! Nothing quite as wonderful as ra bliss and ra heat! How exotic to be driven for just over two hours and find oneself in a beautiful Tibetan temple doing the juju with the wonderful wee fat baldy guys!

5 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Eric - so do I.

Wolf boy, good idea, taking up the bugle, it'll give you an interest outside the bliss.

Aw that's disappointing. Three sentences in, and it's back to the bliss again. Anyone might think this was just a blog about bliss.

In the Vatersprache, Drupchen means something like wee dram, but surely there was no schnapps?

About the flippers, I had a classmate with webbed feet and extra toes if that's any help.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Eric: Two jazz musicians are in the limo leaving Carnegie Hall and one turns to the other and says: I'm glad we kept practising. If you bought yourself a piano tomorrow, you wouldn't expect to be playing Rachmaninov the day after. I was doing ten minutes a day (eyes closed, repeating mumbo jumbo) for a week before I noticed anything different at all. Then only for a second or two. That's where ra bliss is. That's the meditation, I think. That's the bit you accentuate and bring up close. That'll be tenpercent off the top, please! Hotboy

10:58 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Are you sure there's no alcohol in the pivo you make? About the flippers ... you've maybe been spending too long with the penguins! Are you a sushi fan or what? Hotboy

11:02 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

You are amazing Hotboy!
Such discipline.
I have trouble sitting still for two hours with out aching a bit.
I am very impressed.

5:58 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Wb - by sushi, do you mean what i think you mean? Probably not. The stout lite actually has about 4%, is that bad? Your bloglines account is set up - just log in with your email address and your usual password. I added some feeds to start you off, including a buddhist blog over at the sensei's community full of jargon that will possibly mean something to you. But the sensei himself doesn't seem to have what we geeks call an RSS feed.

Hang on, I found 2 feeds for him, so added them too. If you want to delete one, hit EDIT then drag the blog name to the wee trash can, then click FINISHED. Let me know how you go. 10% of the insurance payout will suffice.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.