Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rat Booky Thing!

Tuesday 2:15 p.m.
Say bye bye to the Beer Monster! Today I start re-writing my book, which is going to be all about ra bliss!! As of today, I don't have time for drinking beers and having fun. I should, of course, be writing the book just now, but I thought I'd blog about writing it instead, which is far easier.

I'm out of the way of writing books. Yesterday, I sat in the lobbby all day, more or less, with the noise blockers on. From about half nine till five o clock. I miss not being at the Samye Ling, but it's not the same. So since I'm on holiday this week, I'll start re-writing the book.

Why bother when the book shops are full of books and nobody will want to publish it anyway? Well, I'll put stuff about ra bliss on record. Sometimes, I've written books with true bits in them. Alma Mater, which I started as soon as I'd left university, has a true account of my academic career. The stuff in that about coursework and all that is true. The parts of Are You Boys Cyclists about boxing and writing were true. I've been telling myself to lay off the re-write until I can collect the Four Blisses, but that might never happen unless I can get into a cave somewhere sometime.

This novel will be written in the first person. It'll have to be amusing enough to make people want to read it since it won't really be plot driven. Maybe I should be writing plot driven third person narratives like Bomber, but since I haven't got an agent or a publisher, I'll write whatever I like!

It's the discipline! The only time I had perfect conditions for writing was when I was on the dole and in my mid twenties. Are You Boys Cyclists is set in this time. I used to write from midnight till four in the morning, and from two in the afternoon till six. Apart from then, this time right now has the best conditions for writing. I can write from two till six on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. And no one will stop me doing that. Starting something when you've been a total slob for months isn't easy, but once you get going it shouldn't feel like work. I didn't want to go around with a book in my head all the time when I was chasing ra bliss, but I'll just have to get on with it.

So I'm getting my motivation together here. Folk should know about ra bliss. I'm the only person I know who can tell them about it, so I should try to write this book. If I can sell it, I might get enough money to give my daughter some money and give the Samye Ling some. If I was dead lucky, I might be able to give up my job and spend some time in the Himalayas visiting caves where great saints sat to get ra bliss.

What day is it? 18th October, 2005.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hotboy said...

Eric: These days I write straight onto the computer. Except I haven't been writing much since ...June maybe. Ernest Hemingway wrote with a pen and paper, but he blew his head off and we're trying to avoid that. Hotboy

8:25 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Good luck! You can do it, I think you have good motivational skills.

11:42 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

For my money (not literally), some of your blog stuff could be published. With your library perks, have you come across a writer called Eric Rolls? He just writes his life and it's fascinating. There's also a guy called Gerald Murnane, sometimes good. Of course these people were writing before blogging was invented.

Or have you considered doing a re-write of Alma Mater, with a bigger part for me in it this time? You could include the time I parked a 3-ton truck in Sciennes Road with the handbrake off. When I returned some hours later, it had run downhill into the side of a factory, and there were police everywhere. It took strength of character to walk up to them and own up, when I'd really rather have run away to Brazil. You can use that. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. You can use that as the title.

Lee Ann - I wish I had your faith.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.