Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ra End of Ra Day!

Wednesday 6:20 p.m.
I had to read my new novel today. I mulled it over and decided to read it in Bert's Bar, although these days I am a complete teatotaller. After four pints of IPA, I came home. Well, what's the verdict? Hmmm. It's not really a novel. I got a novel published nine years ago, but that wasn't really a novel either. Anyway, I've got to correct three or four wee things and that's about all.

I don't remember the last novel I got published having any good paragraphs in it. But it was written in the first person. I think this novel has one good paragraph in it and it's also written in the first person. Progress. The first novel I got published was written in the third person and it had seven good paragraphs in it.

The bits about ra bliss sang true to me in this latest novel. That's maybe what counts. The last novel I got published nine years ago had true stuff about my interest in boxing. All the stuff in Alma Mater about the university course I was on is true.

I suppose I should sit and wait and re-write it again. But I probably won't. It's a book about ra bliss and about walking away from samsara. I suppose it's a bit of a rant about education as well. If anybody wants to have a look, email me through my webpage and I'll send you a copy.

I much enjoyed reading samsaramom's latest post. With a name like Heather, she must a be counted as one of the fortunate people, which is to say Scottish. She's been away meditating for a week. How I wish I could do that right now! You've got to want to make the effort. There's something very Scottish about that!

11:35 p.m.
Yes, making the effort! I've only written the book twice. The great thing today was that I read it right through for the first time and didn't get annoyed. Getting annoyed is a sign of my "spiritual" immaturity. So I really have to be cold with it and have a good think, and re-write it. And re-write it. And re-write it.

Why bother? Well, some Joe or Josephine might try to read it and it would be better for them if the words were perfectly paced.

I read books by St Teresa and she's a crap writer. No, she isn't.

And I'm not St Teresa!

There's no hurry. I'd like the sensei and reverend to read it in its current state because he is my brother in arms, and my dharma brother, and he's a writer and understands this shit. I maybe should ask for his advice on this. Any body else ... well, I don't read books, so why should you?

16 Comments:

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

"I think this novel has one good paragraph in it..."

OK, then...what it is? Does it mention your 40th birthday?

MM III

10:15 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! Feel slightly provoked due to giving up being teatotal today. There are better paragraphs than this, but you asked for it....

Monkeys can probably only look one way. Most folk are not all that different from these monkeys. They’re called flatheids. People who have meditated sufficiently to have access to bliss, but call other human beings monkeys or flatheids might have something of a deficit in compassion. Flatheids should really be called Evolutionary Tails, or ETs for short. This is much cuddlier. Even calling them PTs, short for Prehensile Tails, is better than flatheids. Calling people who don’t meditate dafties doesn’t help at all.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:39 PM  
Blogger keda said...

utter joy!! thank you even without the IPA.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Keda: Not too sure what your comment means, but it does sound bloody positive! Hotboy

10:23 AM  
Blogger Lelly said...

Congratulations on completing your novel HB, what an achievement! I'm very impressed!

6:03 PM  
Blogger ion said...

Congrats on finishing a book- I never did that, wanted to but age crept up on me. But I'm aggrieved by your use of 'teatotal', an eggcorn (appropriate malapropism), historically written as tee-total.

The tee is a capital T for the absolutist pledge, standing for total abstinence. But not as tea as a substitute for alcohol.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Ion: I didn't know that! About being tee-total. Learn something every day, eh?
Lelly: Thanks for the congrats. But writing a book isn't hard. Maybe writing a good one is! Hotboy

6:40 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Its not a novel unless you mention me in it.

Thought I'd throw that meaningless bit in...since it is about RAbliss and samsara...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Heather: I've just been reading your post. Dry heaves? Ra dry boke strikes again! Heather heaves. That's as close to poetry as I ever get! It's a long time since I had a hangover. Is that not enough to give you the dry boke? My brother said that once over the burn offering my mother made him for his dinner. I was a wee boy and much amused.Hotboy

10:54 PM  
Blogger MIA said...

Ah yes, Scotland... me mum and her mum and me papa born in Scotland. To have a bridie or meat pie mmmmm

12:16 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Mia: Hungry after midnight from trying to lose the beer belly, I'm a vegetarian who always thinks of meat when I'm hungry. A bridie? I remember exactly what a bridie tastes like! Yum! Forfar in Scotland is famous for bridies. Nice of you to leave a comment. Hotboy

12:26 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

My old man was a proofreader on the Evening Citizen. Let me know if you want me to check over the good para for you. No hurry, as I won't have time to read it before the plummeting holiday anyway.

Peter, who's our boy's step-father twice removed and a journalist, was sitting immersed in a book in a cafe, when a passerby stopped and said "that looks like a good book." To which Peter replied "well I should hope so, I wrote it." That story made headlines in the UnHeard Herald so it must be true.

So are you saying that you decking John Henderson was true all along? I thought so!

I heard yet another explanation of teetotal, but congratulations on your version.

Keep the bridies, but I do miss the round meat pies with the hole in the crust to let the grease out. Goes great with a Tennents.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I meant the stuff in Alma Mater about the course was true. Like how you couldn't study Scottish history at Edinburgh University! I'll email you the book if you like. You should read it before you die. It'll be a buzz if you're flying through the air strapped in your seat without an aeroplane. Talk about adrenalin! Total cure for everything else! Hope you've cheered up. No, I will email you the book. It'll show you what an easy job you've got and that would help! Hotboy

9:33 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! Tried to email the book to you, but it was in a comment and not on the email as such, so it bounced back. Things bounce, Adolf. Remember this as you plummet downwards. Rely on the springs in the seat! They'll help! Hotboy

6:42 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Is the book on the website?

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.