Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Rem Thoughts!

Tuesday 5:30 p.m.
I used to smoke tobacco, but not during the day at work. Sometimes coming home I'd be in a very crabbit mood, and I would have unpleasant thoughts about my fellow man. I would think that I'd like to cut my fellow man's head off and kick it into the sea.

After I'd had some tobacco, I used to feel okay and these bad thoughts did not occur.

You might think what you're thinking is somehow true and real. You get the impression that your thoughts arise independently. The thought about kicking the boy's head into the sea did not arise independently. It was conditioned by nicotine withdrawal. When you can see that one thought has been conditioned by nicotine withdrawal, you are entitled to ask what if anything conditions your other thoughts?

Maybe everything that has happened before conditions every thought somehow. Has almost everything that's happened since the Big Bang affected your wee thought? How about the language you speak in then? Your genetic predispositions? The learned stuff like fight or flight? Millions of things you know about condition even one wee thought. How about all the things we don't know about? Do they condition this wee thought as well? Of course, they must.

Since we are the human beings, maybe the thing that really differentiates between us is what we are thinking, our thoughts.

If you don't have many thoughts and there's never anything much in your head but that little sound going beep, beep, beep, well, you can have my thoughts. I don't trust them. I try not to believe them. In any case, most thoughts aren't worth thinking!

Stephanie Thwaites has the first couple of chapters of Ancient Futures to consider. Apart from that, there's nothing out there. I don't think my heart is really in this hustling of old books, or even new books.

Far too busy to get anything written this week. After Thursday, when I managed to meditate nearly all day, it was flatheid after flatheid. Every day another wave of flatheids drifted up the beach. Very nice, but any time I had to myself I used for meditating.

On Saturday, I realised the meditations had moved on again. Thicker bliss with few thoughts and hardly any breathing. Looking at the photie of the guru, the distortions in the visual field were more pronounced. The air seemed to be getting a little thick, as if it had some further substantiality.

Go to work tomorrow then I'm off again. I cannot complain. I'd like to complain, but I can only complain about having nothing to complain about. What a fortunate creature I am!

3 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

HB - any particular fellow man? Congratulations, you nearly made it to the end of a post without relying on the bliss.

Just for your info, I was looking for one of your old posts on how to tune out by truning your eyes up into your head, so I did a search on your blog for the word "eyes", and there are 43 posts referring to eyes.

Does that help at all?

1:44 AM  
Blogger Currently Alec McClochendichter said...

In what sense would you say fight or flight is learned?

2:31 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

You are a fortunate creature! :)

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.