Thursday, July 14, 2005

Ra Bliss Resume!

I'm sure anyone who meditates will eventually get down to ra bliss. There's nothing odd about me! So here's a brief resume of what I know and have experienced with ra bliss.

White light came first. Burst of it sometimes up my body. Sometimes red bursts. This was shortly after starting. But I've done some meditations practically every day since I started about twenty year ago.

Once I was able to sit properly, I started doing three sessions a day if I could. Sometimes in the evening session, which I used to finish before getting out of my face, the space behind my eyelids would go very white and bright. Usually, the first two sessions were much the same as usual: just trying to concentrate and pay attention, going back to the object of focus (Sussquehanna for me!) whenever you'd lost attention.

Got up to about an hour and a half a day, in three sessions. Half hour at a time. Bright light in the third session almost every time

I had to give up tobacco again. Maybe about 41 or 42 by then. In order to do this, I started getting up at six in the morning and meditating for an hour before going to work. Now you've landed on the money! You fly out the door. You smile at the world. You're getting tons of bliss. This is, I assume, due to the purification of not smoking the tobacco and the increased time. Now you're doing two hours a day and things are really starting to work!

I had the experience of non-self and emptiness described in The Buddha and The Big Bad Wolf, about chapter four, I think.

Then I went to Nepal and India and came back with a tobacco habit once more. That didn't go for six years and tobacco is really the worst drug for this juju. You're better drinking! Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is.

During this six years I did make progress, but it was definitely hampered by blowing the first meeting I had with my now root guru. Didn't think I could progress while still smoking.

Hitting fifty and all found the Jonari's book on chakras and soon after bought The Bliss Of Inner Fire. The clouds open. At last, somebody's talking about ra bliss. And I thought I was getting an awful lot of bliss then.

Managed to get in shape for my date with destiny: Christmas when I was 52. My father died at that age and I used to think of it as my life expectancy when I was in my twenties ... to gee me along!

Didn't die, but took refuge with the great buddha, Lama Yeshe Losal, who gave me an empowerment to do deity yoga. Three months later I had my first experience of raising inner heat. I've had several amazing things happen to me through meditation, but this is in there almost with the experience of non-self and emptiness. It was like after the first time I dropped acid: you just knew nothing was ever going to be quite the same again.

I don't think I've been quite so stunned by any other inner heat experiences. Not yet. Since then I've been developing the technique.

So you get white light. Soon after ( I think it was after for me!) the thing that creepeth uppeth might start. This is sometimes like getting a very nice massage across your shoulders and neck, but from the inside. It ripples and weaves snakelike. This then might develope and will sometimes feel like a balloon or envelope easing you into a better alignment. It sticks out the front a wee bit at your neck and face, and sometimes distorts the shape of your face around your lower jaw. It occurred to me today that if this moved up and back, it would feel like a halo. Gopi Krishna said he had one of them.

Last March I began ten weeks off work and spent most of them in my hut. There I made some connection between breath and bliss. A definite connection. When you let go the vase breath, instead of an normal exhalation, you get an exhalation then bliss might start to pulse up your body. It does this in different ways, but it seems connected somehow to this balloon/envelope effect.

The heat comes up the same way.

The odd thing about this stuff is that, as soon as the thing that creepeth uppeth starts, you don't really have complete control. You can do stuff to entice bliss and heat, but somehow it doesn't feel as if it's yours. You have to put in the conditions then, as the man said, just let go.

Milarepa told Gampopa that nothing can whack this juju and he should know!


I haven't got the discipline (unlike all those nice people!); my visualisations are still rubbish; but other than that everything seems in place. I think now I've just got to keep going until I can collect the four blisses. Once you can go instantaneously breathless (not happening soon!), it's game, set and match.

I'd like to be able to close my eyes and go straight into profound bliss. This is the help we could all use in this life.

Last year I had two empowerments from the lama's big brother. For the last couple of years this stuff has really been hurtling along. Much helped by going part time. You need to distance yourself from the sources of afflictive emotions. And get some time to sit in your hut!

The Future: Deity yoga is a full time job. I would like to lose this half job. Do I have the karma to not work? Well, on Tuesday I managed to convince myself again (I was so confident about this book when I finished it!) that Light in the Dark is a children's classic. I think it'll kick ass when this writing competition gets underway in August. Anjali Pratap might fancy selling it before that. Something else might occur. I'm on the park. I need somebody to pass me the ball.

This blog has received 731 visitors and 23i2 hits since March, I think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I've only been practicing Shamatha...so here might be a rather naive question - aren't these visualizations "just thinking"? I have on a number occasions experienced the beginnings of the white light phenom. - but did not chase it much further, thinking it was just my mind being bored and trying to entertain itself. I could only wish I had that much time for sitting practice! Thats good on you. I might be able to steal 15 minutes a day (if I am lucky) - with three busy little boys - it takes resourcefulness and planning for a decent sitting!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

The "thinking" thing is interesting. Maybe you could start here by wondering if anything when you're conscious is not thinking. But visualisations must be an object of concentration and if you were great at this stuff you might not need the support.
I visualisations I described (mandalas, etc) are beyond me at the moment, but Tibetan juju is, I think, very into three dimensional meditations (as used in Light in the Dark!)
All the stuff in the blog before are taken from the vajrayana stuff, I think.
It's method and wisdom combinations. I guess in this case the method is guru and deity yoga and the wisdom is always emptiness.
The visualisations seem to be a way of achieving this combination of method and wisdom in a very powerful practice.
I'll let you know if I can get it to work!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Bringing up 3 kids is work enough for several people!! It might be possible to attach a mantra to nice feelings and bring them up when you use the mantra. When I started, I used my mantra whenever. Standing at bus stops, waiting in queues, etc. I still do. I suppose it focuses you mind anywhere. Allah Akbar, Kyrie Eleison, Christi Eleison (?), Om Mani Padme Hung. Doesn't matter. But 3 kids ... take my hat off to you. Hotboy

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.