Saturday, July 09, 2005

Ra Bad Boys From Kham!

Have to report that the wheels have come off the temperance wagon. Last night I had to go and see Poisonous. I'd be better keeping out the road since all I'm interested in just now is the weird stuff happening after the vase breath. But you have to go and see people. So we went to see Poisonous. Four bottles of Budvar at 5% and all the way from the Czech Republic. A prince of beers. Four bottles just right. After the second glass, no one was talking to me (we were outside in the back garden. I was sitting cross legged on this wall) , so I rolled my eyes up and had a wee breath. How wonderful! Ra bliss right there. Could have taken away the beer, the people and the garden and I'd have been fine. As soon as I start doing that in company (I was doing it last week when we saw folk at the Make Poverty History march), the Domestic Bliss starts attracting my attention. I wonder why. Eyes rolled up and a glaikit grin on your face. What's the matter with that?

The sensei and reverend emailed me about my bad habits and doing this vase breathing juju. Purification and accumulation is the name of the game, so you should just do the meditations and lay off everything else. This is easier when you're skint. But I can't seem to keep up laying off everything for very long. Several times I haven't had a drink for a year, for instance, but I've always had a beer afterwards ... to see what it's like. Frankly, I've never said no to anything. Some things I don't like, but I tend to say yes to everything else! This is obviously a problem in progessing in this juju.

Nice people who don't drink or do drugs, and are not addicted to tobaccco should find this meditation stuff dead easy. That's why nice people really irritate me. They seem all neuroses and no drive! (Maybe I say that because I wish I was nice, but I can't help being naughty!)

In the Vinaya, which are the monky rules, I believe, there is a part which says, "Monk, you may inhale smoke from a small pipe." First of all, this might not be true. Secondly, what's in the pipe?

It's not appropriate to be totally honest in a blog like this. The Buddha and the Big Bad Wolf has stuff about purification from the more honest perspective.


I'm somewhat encouraged by this half remembered, probably apocryphal story about the four brothers from Kham who were with Gampopa. Anyway, the latter was away meditating. They were having trouble with the four brothers back at the monastery. They kept donning the viking helmets and taking off for babes and booze. But when the boy in charge of discipline was throwing them out, the animals started leaving as well, along with the birds, insects, etc. So Gampopa had to come back and ask them to return.

But if you haven't got some discipline, at least sometimes, I don't see how you can get the mental calming. Without that, you've got zip.

8 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Punishment and reward. Are you sure it's not just a born-again Protestant Ethic?

I noticed the swipe at samsaramom, I thought you'd be cultivating your buddhist pals, not calling them flatheids.

I hope this helps.

11:56 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

hotboy, my last comment belonged with your Wet Teeshirt Competition.

Re doing the bliss in public at the Make Badness Go Away march - I'm all for it, if more people did that then the world would be better off. Also, if it was more commonplace, the eyerolling wouldn't happen. I once tried to meditate during a reggae disco in Edinburgh, sitting cross-legged in front of the PA system. Of course I was just trying to tune out of a difficult situation, and I can't remember if it helped, but it certainly got a reaction. And it didn't hurt anyone. Osama should give it a try.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

You, Adolf, most probably are a flatheid, but I certainly wouldn't say that of samsaramom. (I sometimes get muddled up, but not that muddled up!) Anyway, you're probably half blind by this time. being probabluy over a hundred years old. Also, doing the old eye ball rolling routine in public is for some reason frowned on. I suggest shades and a white stick. I think that might work for both of us. Hotboy

12:32 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Re: nice neurotics

I hope this helps.

12:55 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Yes sorry, I had got the impression that the eyeball rolling was by the disapprovers, not yourself.

12:57 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

This is cutting-edge real-time blogging.

I am impressed you're awake at this hour. Practising devotions no doubt.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

I've been staying up till after eleven some nights recently! What a party dude! Hotboy

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank u ;-) check out that emo boy style at this blog:
http://emo--boys.blogspot.com

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.