Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Rem Desert Island Discs!

9:25 Tuesday.
Adolf tagged me for some musicy thing. I never listen to music, but when I do, it sounds great! I used to listen to music quite a lot, but when they changed the sound system, I definitely lost it. Can't be bothered working it out. If I did, they'd just buy something else and then I'd be stumped again.

However, here in Blighty they have something called Desert Island Discs. It's a radio programme. It's hosted by Sue Lawley whom I really fancied about thirty years ago when she was a tv presenter. My friend told me he had an erotic dream about Queen Victoria once and fancying Sue Lawley was close to that except he couldn't help the dream. Already I'm talking about perversions!

You've got to pick seven records that mean something to you. Off the top of my head, I'll just blog about music.

I've bought three bottles of Furtenburg Premium Lager, which is very nice. 5.3% alc per vol and I'm on the second one now. Nice beer!

See if I can get to seven.

Sister Ray by the Velvet Underground. My all time favourite piece of music. How many times have I lain spreadeagled on the floor and listened to that. "Oh, who is that knocking? Oh, could it be the police? They come and take me for a ride, ride."

Waiting for the Man by the same. "He's never early. He's always late. The first thing you learn is you always gotta wait." How true!

Heroin by same band. I mean, they're in your face here. This is not bourgeois.

Street Hustle by the iminitable Lou Reed. "You take your old lady by the feet. You drag her into the darkened street. And tomorrow morning, she's just another hit and run." God, I wish I could write like that.

I could go on with the inimitable Lou, but I shouldn't get obsessive here.

This is more of a Desert Islands Disc one. Something happening here by Buffalo Springfield. "What a field day for the heat!" Brilliant, brilliant line. I was once at an anti-apartheid demo with a lot of hippies and the police lost it late in the day and behaved very badly. What a field day for the heat!

May you stay forever young by the Bob. Same place. Morocco 1974. I knew it was never going to be as good as that ever again.

I've only got one left!

No, I love the Red Flag. It makes me emotional and so does the Marseillaise. And so does the Internationale. Yes!

As far as live music is concerned, I think the best I heard was The Doors at the Isle of Wight in 1970. "This is the end," the boy said. Right at the start. Fabulous. Fell asleep during Jimi Hendrix at that place.

Honourable mentions for The Velvet Underground in Clerk Street, the reformed band just before the bass player snuffed it. Any band, any band has to have Maureen Tucker on the drums. What a brilliant band!

Also, Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Same place. What a great concert! "Sex and drugs and rock and roll. Is all my brain and body needs!" First song. Fantastic.

Honourable mentions also to Brian Wilson. Since I have as deep dear friend called Brian Wilson, who has exactly the same molecules as the Beach Boys Brian Wilson, I have seen Brian Wilson two and a half times in the last couple of years. Couldn't believe how good the band were!

So this is RaBlissBlog and here's something about ra bliss. One week almost a year ago, I spent a week sitting in this gorgeous temple at the Samye Ling. Every now and again the band would show up. We're into gong bashing here. And big, big horn blowing. And chanting. When you're in ra bliss, and you're eyes are closed and there doesn't seem to be much other than ra bliss and the light, and then the band start giving it laldy with the ... anyway, maybe not much use to flatheids. But I have more than once loved, loved, loved that!!

Before I start really re-writing my book, I'll try to do something with my page. Samsaric activity. It's hard to be bothered. Michi, who's lost her bloggy thing for the moment, linked to my page and I, last night, felt a surge of emotion when I saw that. The only person who read the buddhisty books. It almost made the whole ridiculous thing from the bloggy stuff worth while. So that was down to Brian Wilson who should be my agent except he can't read anything which isn't about Ifrica and creekit. Still. Got something this bloggy thing. Not a complete waste of time. Allah Akbar. God doesn't exist, but is still great! Hotboy



9 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

In Dury. I was at that concert too. Never saw you. I was in the balcony, back row. With Mary Hopkin.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ever seen Brian Eno (in concert). He stikes me as your type, although I hesitate when I say this, because I am not all that clear on what exactly "your type" really means

peace

12:53 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

When you have mentioned your friend Brian Wilson in the past, I have thought of The Beach Boys. I saw The Beach Boys back stage at one of their concerts in Houston, Texas, many years ago. They each had their own limo to take them away after the concert.

1:22 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotboy. Sorry about the spelling mistake, my first ever. Age.

Lee ann, how did you get backstage? The only time I ever got backstage was for someone I'd never heard of (Wayne/Jane County).

Heather. Brian Eno may be too anodyne for hotboy. I hope I'm wrong. I like his stuff a lot (not Hotboy's, Brian's). Hotboy's is probably OK too.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Was that the same Mary Hopkin whose wedding you so called inadvertently gate crashed? Six kids, wasn't it? Be big bruisers by this time. She'll be sending them after you to get her own back. Hope this helps. Hotboy

9:25 PM  
Blogger Currently Alec McClochendichter said...

Which Bob? M. or D. ?

11:56 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Interesting question Moskey joe. Ultimately, I think we should defer to the Original Mexican Bob. Hope this works for you. Hotboy

1:53 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotboy. Aye. The same one.

Is it okay if I tell people about your volunteer work at Syntech, even if it's not true after all? I've composed the post already, and unlike you I can't afford to waste any strokes of genius that come my way.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Post away about the volunteering. I didn't know the question was here. Didnt show on the email. Eh? Hotboy

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.