Friday, September 08, 2006

Ra first rejection!

Friday 10:40 a.m.
"I like your tone of voice but, honestly, I just don't see that this is a novel or anything resembling one..." The woman is dead right there! First rejection just as I was walking out the door going for the train to Bellshill. Cheques are much better! "...written while high on adrenalin? Speed? Dope?" These days I should be so lucky! Written while straight and flat broke more like!

At least Pat Kavanagh read it quick and got the waiting over with. I'm sure if you wrote a novel that looked like a real novel, she'd be a great agent to have! Still, nothing ventured ... and it is still a lovely, sunny day! If my problem is that I'm not filthy rich and have to work for 17 hours a week, it's really not much of a problem! March on!

6:34 p.m.
My maw asked me if I remembered someone's name from a long time ago. This joe had not had his three chapters rejected by an illustrious literary agent that very day. He'd dropped dead. You have to get things into proportion.

I was a bit surprised seeing a package at the door this morning. I don't like rejections, so a while ago I stopped enclosing return postage and told the recipients just to bin the submission if they weren't interested. That way you get an email. Emails are better. I don't know why. So I cost Pat Kavanagh money. Also, time. So it's all giving from her side really.

I should stop the hustling right here and now. What I think I'll do is contact Serpent's Tail, who published a similarly bizarrely contructed novel nine years ago. When they reject it, I'll send it to one wee Scottish publisher and that's it. I don't need the aggravation. What I'd really like is another ten seconds of non-self and emptiness, not going around trying to impress folk I don't even know.

I'm getting hustled to go out tonight. After that let's hope for two straight days of investigating ra bliss!

3 Comments:

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Surely an achievement to do Bukowski thing without drugs.

Believe it or not, I work, well I get paid for, 18 hours a week, compared with your 17. I knew you'd end up even more of a slacker than me.

11:43 PM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

And that's saying something.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

So do you support anyone? I certainly don't. But I've got a horse called Joe. I'd like to support that. That would help! Hotboy

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.