Monday, July 17, 2006

Ra Happy Days!

Monday 7:07 p.m.
What a glorious day to be on holiday! I'm now a third of the way through and have only a month left. A fortunate creature or what?

I meditated in the morning and went to my allotment this afternoon. Too hot to work, as if I was going to! I meditated outside the hut door, gazing on a leaf from a red berry bush.

Then I started work on the third draft of my novel by reading it. I wasn't downhearted. Certainly not! I think I've got a good basis to work on and it might be finished faster than I think. I wasn't expecting it to be this good at this stage.

The last time I read a book up the allotment was the one written by the sensei and reverend. What an enjoyable experience that was! However, since then three agencies have decided not to represent it; one in America and two that I got him here in Blighty. I really thought Isobel Dixon at Blake Friedmann would go for it. At the moment, I haven't got a printer, but I might find a copy in this room if I ransack (sorry, tidy) it. So I'll email some agents tomorrow if the first three chapters turn up.

If I write anything after this novel, I think I'll return to writing dialogue. I haven't written a play for over a decade, but I have got about eight productions on my cv, and I did enjoy writing plays. I should really try to make some money. I doubt if there's much chance of making any from my new book!

It's heading for being the hottest July on record. Not like chilly Jockoland at all!

Tuesday 00:17 a.m.
A wonderful month lies in front of me. The last time I had a truly wonderful summer was in 1988. The Domestic Bliss went back to work full time after six months off, when we were both off with the baby, (I thought: what a fortunate creature this kidddo is: she's almost got two mothers. But there is, at the end of the day, nobody like your mother!) and I had to learn to look after the kiddo on my own.

If the sun shines, there is not a more perfect place to learn to bring up a kid than where I live. You go round the corner and you go into a park. (It's where the allotments are! Even!) Then you walk across the park and you are into the Botanic Gardens. I was in there today with the Domestic Bliss and there are few more wonderful places on this earth than the Botanic Gardens when the sun shines. But you have to be calm. You have to be able to see it. If you're pre-occupied, you can't. Even then, it will subdue you if you let it.

I sat in Yugoslavia on a summer's holiday in 1987 and decided who was going to be in this radio play I was writing at the time: Einstein, Albert Schweitzer, Frued... there was somebody else called Albert ... maybe it was Albert Einstein ... why is everyone called Albert?

When I was looking after the kiddo on my own in the summer of 1988, we went to the Botanic Gardens every day. The sun shone. I was very happy. I had some money. I was writing the book version of the radio play, called The Real McCoy. I tried really hard to get it published, but it didn't get published. When that happened, I couldn't recuperate because, with looking after the kiddo, I didn't have the time.

Going to the Samye Ling for a week with a wee tent, and doing the juju, and not really speaking to anyone, is a bit challenging. I think I needed the next week to come up for air, sort of. But now I'm here. I'm going to finish writing this book which will never be published ... I thought The Real McCoy would be in 1988 ... or hoped it would be. How could I sell something about ra bliss to flatheids? Flatheids don't get ra bliss. That's why they're flatheids!

I want to be suffused with happiness as I re-write this book. I would like to be amused. I would like to enjoy the process. If I made any money from it, I'd give a third to the Samye Ling, a third to the kiddo and a third to the Domestic Bliss. None of these people really need the money and neither do I.

There were a lot of leaves I could have looked at today, but I was impressed by the boy in the book, the Essentials of Mahamudra, saying that while some joes look down and some joes look up, the vajrayana joes look straight ahead. So I tried to look ahead and diminish the self here and the self there, and then I thought of the Big Mind, and arising and abiding and declining in the oneness, and I realised that somehow, at the end of the day, I was indeed one of the most fortunate of the the fortunate creatures!

And so I am! I should die now. If I went to sleep and died now, I'd have had the most wonderful life! What more could a body ask for?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

How nice to have such a long vacation! Glad to hear that things are going well with your novel.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

You are getting hot over there Hotboy?
We hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit today.
That is 37.77777777777778 Celsius.

Stay cool Hotboy.
Bunches of hugs for you.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Lee Ann: I did meditate for you today. From about eleven till half twelve. I liked that. It made it even more purposeful. Nobody deserves to be unhappy. Thanks for asking. It did make it better. At least, I knew your name. With the Adolf, I didn't have enough info ... it was too general. Maybe trying like that ... well, it helps with focussing. Please remember that hurts don't last forever! It's not the way they are. They arise, they exist for a bit, then they go away. Still buggers when you're getting them though! Hotboy

1:34 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

In the gardens with the DB, weren't you worried you'd bump into the old dear and there'd be a scene? Always keep your women separate, that helps.

My grabdfather was called Albert. Can;t be effed correcting the typo there. Don't want to waste this window of opprotunity before thre screwamig pain kicks in.

If you make a big thing about not needing any more money, the cops who read this blog are bo8nd to twig.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Lelly said...

Hotboy I thought I'd tell you (as you're probably amongst the few 3D and virtual people I know who might possibly be interested) that our wood is officially 'ancient woodland' full of hornbeams (rare) and some 200+ year-old oaks...and there has been woodland on the site since at least 1600. And very likely a habitat for bats too (as well as the rabbits, squirrels, burds, butterflies)...I'm dead chuffed, me!

3:44 AM  
Blogger Hotboy said...

Lelly: Saw a David Attenborough show once about how oak trees end up on a wood. The outlast and outlive everything else, I think. Think of all the folk who've sat under your trees! They're older than some American states! Hotboy.
Eric: My webpage gets hit nearly every day, so someone is reading something!
Adolf! Heil! Your neck's been sore for ages! Sorry to hear it's still sore!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama Let your creative work live and breathe... Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

World Blog Directory : Listing of all possible blogs from personal pages to politically related. Manually edited.